Tim Frolich's Story

When AA Flight 11 plowed into the North Tower, Tim Frolich was at his desk at Fuji Bank on the 80th Floor of the South Tower. Like so many other employees and friends in the towers, he was completely unaware of what had just happened.

In Tim's words:

Little did anyone know this one incident was actually the beginning of an attack on our security, freedoms, beliefs, and most importantly, on the United States of America.

Being able to see the devastation in the North Tower from a window near my desk, I immediately found my best friend who had already contacted the Port Authority, via a walkie-talkie radio, regarding the “controlled situation” in the North Tower. Both of us served as volunteer fire wardens for the 80th floor. Because of smoke from the North Tower now starting to seep into the higher floors of our building, we agreed that we would immediately go up to the 81st and 82nd floors to advise fellow employees that it would be best to consider moving down to lower floors in preparation for an evacuation order from the Port Authority.

From the 80th floor, we entered Stairway A and climbed to the 82nd floor, where we encountered several fellow employees, some of whom informed us that they would not be moving to a lower floor location. We then moved down to the 81st floor, and after finding that floor basically empty, we re-entered Stairway A. We then stopped briefly on the 80th floor to try to get an update from the Port Authority on the Tower 1 fire and situation. With no new details, and my fellow employee well ahead of me in Stairway A, I worked my way into a relatively slow-moving line of panicked people coming down from the higher floors.

By the 60th floor, I began to feel fatigued and decided to rest. I was fortunate to find an unlocked re-entry door from the stairway taking me into another tenant. As I began to open that door, the South Tower shook and the ceiling tiles in the room I was entering began to collapse. I was knocked off my feet and covered with dust and debris from the impact and room collapse. I became aware that the room I was in was filling with smoke and I could see my co-worker, and many others, now scurrying for the stairway door to exit. I crawled back to that door and was able to stand up and notice that the air was much easier to breathe. As I gathered myself and began walking down again, I came across a slow-moving female employee from Morgan Stanley. She was having a severe asthma and panic attack. We were both unable to keep pace with the evacuation flow and I decided we would wait until a large majority of people passed us, so we would not be in the way.

We continued down the stairs and exited through the lobby. Once outside, I was unable to open my eyes due to the brightness and dust/debris. I was met by a medic who, with the help of the young woman I was with, began to rinse my eyes. Within a few seconds, I heard a loud rumble behind me and the medic advised me to “run for your life.” I was unaware of what was happening, and I began to move to my left and onto Fulton Street where I was immediately caught in the black dust cloud.

Unable to see and while hearing objects fall to the ground around me, I continued to run. Following a few seconds of chaos and deafening sounds, I was pulled off the street by a NYC firefighter. He and I tumbled down a flight of stairs near the Millennium Hotel. As I fell, I immediately felt and heard my left foot and ankle snap.

Now at the bottom of the stairs inside a parking garage, I let the firefighter know I was hurt and unable to stand back up. He assured me he would be back with help as soon as possible, and within thirty minutes, he did return with another firefighter, as well as with PAPO (Port Authority Police Officer) Captain Kathy Mazza.

They all immediately joined arms and carried me back up to the street, laying me down inside a Chase Bank branch. Coincidentally, I was reunited with the Morgan Stanley employee with whom I had earlier exited the South Tower, and she hailed an ambulance for me. I was moved to a waiting ambulance on Fulton Street with two seriously burned female victims of the South Tower attack. As we sped away from the scene, heading to St. Vincent’s hospital, the North Tower began to implode and collapse.
“Unfortunately, my physical injuries have resulted in a permanent disability. My doctors have advised me that I sustained a complete crush to my lower left ankle and foot. I had immediate open surgery to try to salvage some function, which orthopedically was achieved.

This injury included severe nerve damage that has now affected some muscle function on my left leg and foot.

Aside from these daily physical, mental and overall health challenges, I lost close friends and fellow employees during this horrific day. I know I was truly blessed to be able to come home to my own family, because so many families did not get that gift.

I am honored and fully committed, like so many others, to continue to work for and to achieve the real truth of who was behind the 9/11 attacks and who financed them.

One final note, after my rescue, one of my personal heroes -- PAPO Captain Kathy Mazza -- apparently returned to continue to help with other North Tower rescues. Sadly, she perished in that collapse. I was never able to properly thank her for her unbelievable service, courage and physical strength that she offered to me as a victim that day.

Please join us and help us get these crucial answers, so the many 9/11 victims of our great country can understand how 9/11 was financed and how the murder of thousands was put into motion. ~ Tim